Dates for the 2017-2018 Knockout Series!
The Ottawa Branch Knockout Series has two divisions for pipers and drummers.
- A Division includes solo pipers and drummers eligible for grades 1 and 2, and experienced grade 3 players.
- B Division includes solo pipers and drummers in grade 5 and 4, and less experienced grade 3 players.
Players will compete throughout the fall and winter months, collecting points towards playing in the final round in March 2018.
Registration can be taken online or at the door typically starting at 7:00 pm. Competitions start at 7:30 pm.
Fee: Competitors and attendees, $7.00 at the door.
- The contest has two divisions, and competitors should enter in the proper division for their abilities:
- Players must wear appropriate highland attire.
- A division (competing Grades 1 and 2, and experienced grade 3 players)
- B division (Grades 4 and 5, and less experienced grade 3 players)
- In the preliminary rounds (October to February), A and B division points will be awarded as follows:
- 1st place – 6 points
- 2nd place – 5 points
- 3rd place – 4 points
- 4th place – 3 points
- 5th place – 2 points
- 6th place – 1 point
The 3 competitors with the most points in Ottawa’s A and B and 40+ divisions at the end of February will compete in a final round in March.
In the event of a tie for the last qualifying place(s) at the end of February, both competitors with matching points will be invited to the final round in March.
The winner of the final round in A and B divisions will be the year’s knockout champions.
Tune requirements change with each Knockout event. The tune requirements will be posted on the calendar entry as well as in the online registration form.
|Saturday, Sept. 23
7:30 pm – after AGM
|HMCS Bytown (Navy Mess)||Two 6/8s (4 pt minimum – each tune)||MSR (4 pt minimum – each tune)||2/4 March (4 pt minimum)||6/8 March (4 pt minimum)|
|Saturday, Oct. 28
|HMCS Bytown (Navy Mess)||Air, 6/8 March (4 pt minimum for march)||2/4 March (4 pt minimum)|
|Saturday, Nov. 25
|HMCS Bytown (Navy Mess)||Can/Con HJ (4 pt minimum – each tune)||6/8 March (4 pt minimum)||Jig (4 pt minimum)||2/4 March (4 pt minimum)|
|Saturday, Jan. 6
|HMCS Bytown (Navy Mess)||2/4 March (4 pt minimum)||Air, 6/8 March (4 pt minimum for march)|
|Saturday, Feb. 3
|HMCS Bytown (Navy Mess)||MSR (4 pt minimum – each tune)||Mini MSR (2 pt – each tune)||HJ (4 pt minimum – each tune)||6/8 March (4 pt minimum)|
|Saturday, Mar. 3 FINALS
|HMCS Bytown (Navy Mess)||Medley||Medley (2-5 mins)||Medley (2-5 mins)||Medley||Medley (2-5 mins)||Medley (2-5 mins)|
- March 3, 2018 is Finals night. The top three competitors from each Ottawa Knockout category will be invited to compete.
- The Over 40 (40+) Category is for folks over 40 years of age, from beginner to intermediate, that would like to begin competing. Competitors in the Over 40 category are not eligible to compete in Group A or B in addition to the Over 40 category. The intention is to allow participants to begin competing against their peers. More experienced players who are over 40 are welcome to compete in the regular A and B categories if they wish.