January 12th Knockout Results
Twenty-two competitors and a large audience braved the cold on January 12th to attend the fourth Knockout event of the 2018-19 season. Our three events, B, C, and 40+ piping were adjudicated by Alan B. Clark, who entertained the crowd with a recital following the contests.
2/4 March, 4 parts
- D.J. McDonald – The Young MacGregor
D.J. McDonald, winner of the 40+ piping event, with Ottawa Branch President Jacob Dicker.
2/4 March, 2 parts
- Noah Yateman- The Barren Rocks of Aden
- Heidi McIntyre- 42nd Highlanders
- Joseph Durst- The 79th’s Farewell to Gibraltar
- Jonathan Mulholland- Mairi’s Wedding
- Dominic Kilpatrick- The 72nd Highlanders’ Farewell to Aberdeen
- Noah Grew- Duncan MacInnes
Noah Yateman, winner of the C Piping, accepting his scoresheet from Jacob Dicker and Vice President Allan MacKenzie.
Mini MSR, 2 parts each tune
- Robert MacLeod- Colonel Wilson, Balmoral Castle, Miss Girdle
- Rowan Meyer- Donald MacLellan of Rothesay, Highland Harry, Fiona MacLeod
- Jean-Sébastien Gamache- Men of Argyll, Captain Home, The High Road to Linton
- Paula Campbell- The Canada Millennium Pipe Band, Keith James Bowes, Jock Wilson’s Ball
- Megan McIntosh- The Canadian Millennium Pipe Band, Sandy MacPherson, Simply Delicious
- Gabrielle Soucy- Campbell’s Farewell, Balmoral Castle, The Wind that Shakes the Barley
Robert MacLeod, winner of the B Piping, with Jacob Dicker and Allan MacKenzie.
Congratulations to all competitors! Additional photos can be found on the Ottawa Branch PPBSO Twitter feed and on our Facebook page. An updated points summary of the 2018-19 Knockout series can be accessed here.
Upcoming Branch Events
Next Knockout: Saturday, February 9, 2019
Registrations are taken online or at the door typically starting at 7:00 pm.
Competitions start at 7:30 pm.
Cost: Competitors and attendees, $7.00 at the door.
Location: HMCS Bytown Naval Officers’ Mess, 78 Lisgar St. in downtown Ottawa.
- “A” Piping – Canadian Content Hornpipe-Jig (min. 4 parts each tune)
- “B” Piping – Slow Air- 6/8 March (min. 4 parts march )
- “A” Drumming – 2 6/8 Marches (min. 4 parts each tune)
- “B” Drumming- Strathspey-Reel (4 parts each tune)
- “C” Drumming- 2/4 March (2 parts)
Knockout Finals: Saturday, March 9, 2019
Doors open 7:00 pm, contest starts at 7:30 pm
Cost: Competitors and attendees, $7.00 at the door
- The top three competitors from each Ottawa Knockout category will be invited to compete with a medley (in the event of a tie, both competitors with matching points will be invited to play).
2019 Glengarry Cup Professional MSR Contest
When: April 13, 2019, 7:30 pm – 10:00 pm
Where: Royal Canadian Air Force Officers’ Mess
158 Gloucester Street, Ottawa K2P 0A6
Judge: Michael Grey
The Glengarry Cup Open Professional MSR Contest is held in April and select participants are invited to play. Participants must play a 2/4 March, Strathspey and Reel in that order. This contest is a definite must see event if you want to experience a high calibre of play in the finest tradition. Please join us!
Ottawa Indoor Highland Games
When: May 4, 2019, 8:00 am – 5:30 pm
Where: St. Michael’s Catholic High School
2755 County Rd 43, Kemptville K0G 1J0
Cost: Competitors and attendees, $10.00 at the door
It was announced at the January 12th Knockout that Ontario Champion Supreme points will be awarded for the solo contests at the Ottawa Indoor Highland Games. Registration will be opening soon. Stay tuned!
We are hard at work organizing an amateur piobaireachd contest to take place this spring. Dust off those darodos and watch your inbox for details!
2019 OttScot Festival
The Scottish Society of Ottawa is currently running their first ever OttScot Festival, a month-long celebration of Scottish culture in the Ottawa area. Full details can be found here. Highlights include a storytellers’ night, lecture on Scottish-Canadian authors, the Great Canadian Kilted Skate, kirkin’ of the tartan, a theatre production based on Shakespeare’s MacBeth (with a twist!) and one of the best Burns Suppers around!